Friday, April 4, 2008

Chopstick etiquette

Sometimes I get so blaze and think I know everything there is to know about the cultural mores of this country. The very wonderful, What Japan Thinks, has put me in my place, which I now acknowledge is akin to a very dark cave. I particularly loved the figures on bad chopstick manners. I already knew it was a total no no to stand your sticks up in the bowl but wasn't aware that 'spearing food then eating it' or 'pointing your sticks at other people' is the height of rudeness. Guess I better shape up. One of my finest moments years ago in my days of teaching kids was to get them to play a game where they had to eat as many sweets as possible using chopsticks and wearing huge woolen gloves. Needless to say that the little blighters showed no regard for the social niceties as they overdosed on e-numbers.

No comments: